Appointments are scheduled for one hour.
Our program supports writers in a variety of disciplines and a range of courses. Our coaches meet individually with students about:
- brainstorming topics
- organizing ideas
- formulating a thesis
- structuring paragraphs
- developing an argument
The RLC writing coaches do not provide tutoring for Writing Program courses (including Expository Writing and Basic Composition). These courses are supported by the Writing Centers, where students can meet with tutors who work closely with the Writing Program courses. Please visit the Writing Centers' website to learn more about their programs and sign up for tutoring.
While our coaches do not proofread or edit papers, they do provide feedback and suggestions on how to write concise sentences, coherent paragraphs, and a well-organized paper. Our coaches also work with non-native speakers of English.
Citation Style Guides
- APA Style Quick Reference: http://www.apastyle.org/learn/faqs/index.aspx
- Karla Tonella's Guide to Citation Style Guides: bailiwick.lib.uiowa.edu/journalism/cite.html
- The Online Writing Lab at Purdue: http://owl.english.purdue.edu/
Grammar and Usage
- The University of Chicago Writing Program: http://writing-program.uchicago.edu/resources/grammar.htm
- Discussion Groups on English grammar, usage, and style: http://englishforums.com/
- A website to test your understanding of grammar and usage: http://alt-usage-english.org/
- Practical advice for writers in technical fields: http://www.writing.engr.psu.edu/
- Jack Lynch's Guide to Grammar and Style: http://andromeda.rutgers.edu/~jlynch/Writing/
- The Plagiarism Spectrum: http://turnitin.com/assets/en_us/media/plagiarism_spectrum.php
- Plagiarism & Academic Integrity tutorial: http://www.scc.rutgers.edu/douglass/sal/plagiarism/intro.html