Faculty applications are now closed for the 2018-2019 academic year. If you would like to be notified when the 2019-2020 application opens, please fill out the interest form. To discuss the possibility of partnering with the LA Program in the future, please email Dr. Alice Seneres at email@example.com.
Since 2011, this innovative program at Rutgers engages undergraduates in classroom teaching and learning while helping them develop their teaching, leadership, and interpersonal skills. Learning Assistants (LAs) assist in the classroom in several ways, including facilitating discussions and workshops during lectures, team teaching recitation or laboratory sections with a graduate teaching assistant, or independently leading supplemental study groups or recitations.
- During Fall semester between November and January, interested faculty apply for their courses to have LAs.
- Students who wish to work as LAs
- Have earned an A or B+ in the course they wish to serve as an LA
- Apply to be an LA; applications are accepted in February to early March, with interviews occurring in March and April. Decisions are then sent out in May and June for the upcoming fall semester.
- The student co-enrolls in a 3-credit pedagogy course for their first semester as an LA
- The LA role focuses on creating active and collaborative learning environments. LAs work with students and help guide them through the course, while coordinating with the faculty instructor
- LAs do not:
- Proctor, grade exams and tests
- Prep for labs with teaching assistants
- Work as teaching assistants
- Help faculty instructor in teaching a class
- For complete information on student role, responsibilities, professional development and compensation, please go to: https://rlc.rutgers.edu/services/learning-assistant-program
- Please contact Dr. Alice Seneres (firstname.lastname@example.org) with any questions.