About Sari Katzen
Sari Katzen earned her M.S. in Biology from the College of Staten Island and her B.A. in Biological Sciences from Rutgers University. Sari oversees the Peer Leader Training Program and professional development workshops offered at the Learning Centers. She teaches a section of the pedagogy course (Pedagogy of Peer-Led Learning) required for all first-semester Learning Assistants (LAs). Sari has served as an advisor for RU-FIT, a transition course for first-year international students and the SAS First-Year Retention Program (FRP). She formerly coordinated the LA Program and the NSF-funded project Preparation in STEM Leadership (PSL). She has also worked as an undergraduate Learning Assistant for Physics for the Sciences 193 & 194 and a Lead Academic Coach. Read more about Sari's research and academic history.
Sari Katzen's office is in Tillett 111 B within the Livingston Learning Center. Phone: 848-445-0987 Email: email@example.com
- Instructor, Pedagogy of Peer-Led Learning (01:090:322) (formerly Peer Instructor Education)
- Workshop Facilitator for Learning Centers' Peer Leader Training Program
- Academic Coaching Workshop Facilitator for general academic skills such as study skills, test-taking strategies, and time management
- Learning Assistant, Physics for the Sciences (01:750:193 & 194)
Research Assistant, Biology Department, CUNY College of Staten Island, Staten Island, NY (Sept. 2013 – May 2015)
- Conducted thesis research (in Dr. Eugenia Naro-Maciel's lab) focusing on the connectivity of Southwestern Atlantic green turtle feeding grounds through genetic analysis and dispersal modeling
- Performed standard laboratory procedures such as DNA extractions, PCR, gel electrophoresis, and DNA sequencing clean-up and organized laboratory equipment
- Supervised undergraduate research projects about marine turtle genetics and ecology
Publications and Conference Presentations
- Ramachandran, S. Blackwell, S., Katzen, S., & Emenike, M. (2021, August). Qualitatively Exploring the Experience of Academic Peer Leaders in STEM Courses. Poster presented at Rutgers ARESTY Symposium, online.
- Ptak, C., & Katzen, S. (2021, May). Facilitating active learning with embedded LAs. Workshop presented at 2021 Rutgers Active Learning Symposium, online.
- Ptak, C., & Katzen, S. (2021, March). Embedded learning assistants support active engagement in remote courses. PowerPoint presented at 2021 Rutgers Online Learning Conference, online.
- Blackwell, S., Carbone, L., Katzen, S., Mejía Ramos, J.P., Ptak, C., Sandberg, A., & Seneres, A. Impact of active learning on course performance and self-reported learning gains in a higher-level mathematics course. 4th Northeastern RUME Conference, Virtual, 10/3/2020.
- Katzen, S., & Sandberg, A. (2019, October). Managing a Large-Scale Peer Leader Program: Challenges, Opportunities, and Effective Practices. PowerPoint presented at Annual CRLA National 2019 Conference, New Orleans, LA.
- M. Emenike, S. Blackwell, S. Katzen, S. Kaptan, L. Brahmia, N. Vega-Cotto, N. Onulak. “Exploring The Use Of Concept Maps To Assess Learning Assistants’ Development Of Pedagogical Knowledge,” , A. Ciafullo, 2019 LA Research Symposium & 2019 International Learning Assistant Conference, Boulder, CO, 10/18-19/2019.
- Katzen, S., & Gupta, A. (2019, October). A Peer-Led Experience: Piloting a First-Year International Transition Course. PowerPoint presented at 2019 NCLCA National Conference, Louisville, KY.
- Kaplan, S., Katzen, S., & Sandberg, A. (2019, March). Managing a Large-Scale Peer Leader Program: Challenges, Opportunities, and Effective Practices. PowerPoint presented at Annual PA/NJ CRLA Spring 2019 Conference, Bethlehem, PA.
- Katzen, S. (2018, Oct.). Utilizing Co-Teaching in Peer Instructor Education to Increase Student Engagement. PowerPoint presented at Annual NCLCA Fall 2018 Conference, Niagara Falls, NY.
- Katzen, S., & Seneres, A. (2018, May). Increasing Student Engagement through the Co-Teaching Model. PowerPoint presented at Rutgers Active Learning Symposium, New Brunswick, NJ.
- Ciafullo, A., & Katzen, S. (2018, March). Transforming the Co-Teaching Model for Peer Instructor Education. PowerPoint presented at Annual PA/NJ Fall 2018 Conference, New Brunswick, NJ.
- Blackwell, S., Katzen, S., Bhattacharya, N., Onulak, N., & Emenike, M. (2017, September). Investigating Changes in Academic Peer Leaders’ Skills, Practices, Attitudes, and Content Knowledge. PowerPoint presented at NCLCA National Conference, San Antonio, TX.
- Emenike, M., Bhattacharya, N., Katzen, S., Patel, N., & Blackwell, S. (2017, August). Investigating Content and Pedagogical Knowledge Development of Academic Peer Leaders in Chemistry Courses. PowerPoint presented at 254th National American Chemical Society (ACS) meeting, Washington, D.C.
- Blackwell, S., Katzen, S., Patel, N., Sun, Y., Emenike, M. (2017). Developing the Preparation in STEM Leadership Program For Undergraduate Academic Peer Leaders. The Learning Assistant Review, 22(1), 50-84, (link to ERIC entry: https://eric.ed.gov/?id=EJ1142581).
- Katzen, S., Sun, Y., Patel, N., Emenike, M., & Blackwell, S. (2016, March). Measuring Peer Leaders’ Beliefs about Teaching and Learning. PowerPoint presented at Annual PA/NJ CRLA Spring 2016 Conference, Newtown, PA.
- Blackwell, S., Katzen, S., Patel, N., Sun, Y., & Emenike, M. (2016, March). Peer Leadership Positions’ Effects on Leadership and Communication Practices: Preliminary Results. PowerPoint presented at Annual PA/NJ CRLA Spring 2016 Conference, Newtown, PA.
- Emenike, M., Katzen, S., Patel, N., & Blackwell, S. (2016, October). Investigating Chemistry and STEM Academic Peer Leaders' Professional Development Related to Content Knowledge, Pedagogical Knowledge, and Communication and Leadership Skills. Poster presented at 8th International LA Workshop, Boulder, CO.
- Emenike, M., Katzen, S., & Blackwell, S. (2015, October). Investigating how the Components of Peer Leadership Programs Influence the Development of Academic Peer leaders' Content and Pedagogical Knowledge and Leadership and Communication Skills. PowerPoint presented at 7th International Learning Assistant Workshop. Boulder, CO. (view poster)
- Funk, M., Katzen, S., & Fagan, J.M. (2012). Using Inquiry-Based Learning and the Environment to Improve Science Education. [Academic project]. GGREAT Student Projects. Rutgers University. Retrieved from http://dx.doi.org/doi:10.7282/T3QV3JPZ.