Faculty applications are now open for the 2019-20 academic year and will be accepted until January 25, 2019. To complete an application, please click here. For any questions or to discuss the possibility of partnering with the LA Program in the future, please email Dr. Corey Ptak at email@example.com.
Since 2011, this innovative program at Rutgers engages undergraduates in classroom teaching and learning while helping them develop their teaching, leadership, and interpersonal skills. Learning Assistants (LAs) assist in the classroom in several ways, including facilitating discussions and workshops during lectures, team teaching recitation or laboratory sections with a graduate teaching assistant, or independently leading supplemental study groups or recitations.
- During the Fall semester, between November and January, interested faculty apply for their courses to have LAs
- Students who wish to work as LAs:
- Must have earned an A or B+ in the course they wish to serve as an LA
- Need to apply to be an LA; applications are accepted in February to early March, with interviews occurring in March and April. Decisions are then sent out in May and June for the upcoming fall semester
- Once accepted into the Program, all first-semester LAs are required to co-enroll in a 3-credit, 300-level pedagogy course
- The LA role focuses on creating active and collaborative learning environments. LAs work with students and help guide them through the course, while coordinating with the faculty instructor
- LAs do not:
- Proctor or grade exams and tests
- Prep for labs with teaching assistants
- Work as teaching assistants
- Help faculty instructor in teaching a class
- For complete information on student role, responsibilities, professional development, and compensation, please go to https://rlc.rutgers.edu/services/learning-assistant-program.