The Learning Centers provide centralized academic support services to cultivate students’ skills, strategies, and behaviors that lead to academic persistence and lasting success.
Our programs serve a diverse population of students through co-curricular and in-class support, formal instruction, and professional development. Capitalizing on the success of peer-led practices, we craft student-centered services that instill leadership and strengthen the professional growth of our student employees. Our active learning spaces create a community of learners by stimulating collaboration among peers, faculty, and staff.
Professional staff members mentor student employees, offer instruction in pedagogy and academic skills, and provide administrative infrastructure. To inform decision-making and develop new initiatives, we continually assess our programs and collaborate with university partners, as well as participate in national and local academic support communities and contribute to educational research.
- Effective learning is:
- Active & Collaborative: Our approach to learning ensures students engage in inquiry, discussion, and tasks that pique curiosity and invite discovery. Students arrive, collectively and individually, at a more sophisticated understanding when they engage with one another in sense-making by utilizing ideas, strategies, and concepts contributed by each person.
- Self-Directed: We teach students critical thinking and metacognitive skills to develop expertise, enabling them to contribute to academic discourse and complete academic tasks independently.
- Transformative: We prepare students and staff for leadership, as well as continual academic and professional growth.
- Our practices are:
- Inclusive: We value all identities, perspectives, and backgrounds and are dedicated to integrating multiple voices and experiences into every aspect of our operations.
- Learner-Centered: Students’ experiences, resources, and contributions inform our instruction and decision-making.
- Evidence-Based: Sound and established research ground our educational practices.